St Mary’s Church was dedicated on the 1st August 1914 by the Archdeacon of Brisbane the Venerable H.F. Le Fanu. Local Mr George Brown, a lay reader, foundational member of the church building committee and later warden was given the honour of choosing the name of the church. He chose St Mary’s perhaps because he had been a worshipper at St Mary’s in York England, his home country. The new church now named St Mary’s gave the Montville Church of England congregation a permanent home which had met in the School of Arts Hall since 1908. Dawn Barnett, George Brown’s daughter, is still a regular worshipper at St Mary’s.
The Centenary celebration in 2014 was a great success with the main event being the service for past and present Parishioners conducted by Archbishop Phillip Aspinall. The event was well supported by the Montville community and representatives of the other churches. This was followed by a delightful lunch in the Montville Memorial Hall which was decorated with memorabilia.
Wednesdays 9.00 am in the St. Mary’s and Community Hall
Sunday Service 7:30am
ST MARY’S MEMORIAL WALL
Contact Carol Egan Ph 0412 794 638 or email email@example.com
Or contact Parish Office on 5499 9130 for a brochure.
Parish Directory Church Locations Contact Us